Vacation: Connected or unplugged

With so much focus on staying connected, how do we unplug ourselves from work when we are on vacation?
While on vacation recently, I checked my email during the week, saw several issues that needed a communication (or did they) and realized how swamped I would be once back at work. I checked in on Facebook, but drew the line on social media there. Still, it was like I didn't miss a beat when I returned and the feeling of being overwhelmed, stressed and burnt out, was still there.
My advice to those with vacations to come, is to unplug from work completely, if possible. If you are a go-to person, give your cell phone number to a responsible person who will only call if absolutely necessary. If everybody has your cell phone, record an away message for your voicemail and screen your calls.
With the ongoing high unemployment rate, there's a tendency to do whatever it takes to keep a job. But the truth is, we're setting standards that aren't healthy or in our best interest. Also, taking a break from work, can actually improve productivity.
It's summertime, we should be enjoying some relaxation and fun outside. If you can't fit in a week of it, I hope you can grab some summer enjoyment here and there, to make it a summer of fond memories, not just another work week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Steve Jobs On How Content Is Truly King [video]

State of Michigan to host MiVirtualCareerFair

Tim Horton’s offers smile cookie